[SAC] Spam in Wiki

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Thu Aug 18 10:50:55 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:56:41AM +0200, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:

> > As someone already said before, the real difficulty would be mapping
> > the Wiki user names to OSGeo LDAP accounts. When we looked at this
> > issue a few years ago, the task already seemed almost impossible to
> > accomplish because people happily tend to use obscure nicknames
> > wherever possible ....
> >
> > The technical part is easy compared to that,

> I guess at one point we will just have to break things and some people
> may have to use two ids for some time. No big harm. Yes, maybe some edit
> statistics get lost but bexond that disruption should be fairly minimal.
> The other option is to leave things as they are forever and in the long
> run this seems to be causing more trouble.

I was just thinking of migrating the current OSGeo Wiki over to OSGeo
LDAP authentication this weekend. I'll create a test instance on
Saturday and if things are working as expected, then I'll merge the
config changes over to the main Wiki.

This would mean that _all_ of the current Wiki logins will become
invalidated instantaneously when the transition has completed. We
should add an appropriate notice to the Wiki login page - I might
require for support from a MediaWiki guru on this (not sure, we'll
see). As an additional feature I strongly propose to set up a separate,
secured page where former Wiki editors should announce their previous
Wiki login and the complementary OSGeo LDAP login so we can refer
previous edits to the new LDAP logins. Anyone ?

I'm _planning_ to purge unused Wiki logins (those who didn't do any
edits) from the current DB but I'm not entirely certain if that'll
succeed.

Objections ?