[SAC] Deciphering the Backup Status

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 14 02:45:51 EST 2011

So based on Bacula setting here's what's currently configured.
Backup files are stored on Backup.osgeo under /backup/bacula and are
retrievable via Bacula. There's currently 109GB of backed up files.

This consists of the following directories:
    File = /boot
    File = /etc
    File = /var/www
    File = /osgeo
    File = /var/lib/mysql
    File = /var/lib/postgresql
    File = /var/lib/dpkg
    File = /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
>From each of the following machines:
 wiki,secure,web,trac,webextra,backup,qgis,projects,adhoc

A Full copy is made every Sat. with incremental backups nightly.

Combined with the Rsync clone of Download we are at
/dev/vdb1             500G  197G  304G  40% /backup
disk usage.

So the next logical step is to get scripts written that dump important
databases to the file system. We can either put them into /osgeo folders
on each server to have them picked up by the current system or put them
at a different path and configure a different job specific to picking up
people db dumps. Technically mysql and postgres appear to be picked up
but that's not in a format that's transportable to other servers.

Note these scripts can be set to run from Bacula, here's an example from
tracsvn:
Client Run Before Job = /osgeo/backup.sh
Client Run After Job = "rm /osgeo/trac_backup.zip"

Hopefully that gives everyone enough info to think about the next steps.