[SAC] Re: [support.osuosl.org #19129] New lvm volume on osgeo 3

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 20 12:50:50 EDT 2011

On 06/20/2011 09:40 AM, Lance Albertson via RT wrote:
> On Sun Jun 19 01:08:25 2011, tech at wildintellect.com wrote:
>> We'd like to get a 100GB lvm volume added to the Web vm on osgeo3.  My
>> notes say we've got a good 500+GB unused on that system. I think we
>> want to keep it as a separate volume in case we decide to hook it up
>> to a different vm later.
>
> osgeo3 currently has 468GB free and osgeo4 has 219G free. The web VM is
> currently setup in a DRBD fashion so we will have to use 100G on both
> machines. I will have to take the web VM offline for 5-10 minutes to add
> the volume to it. We will have to wait for the sync to finish before you
> use it (probably an hour or more) after I add it.
>
> I'm looking into seeing if we can move the volume to a different VM down
> the road. I'm pretty sure its not possible with the current features but
> we probably can make it work via a manual method if we had to.
>
> Let me know if this is OK and when I can take the VM offline to add the
> storage.
>
> Thanks-

So minor hiccup in the idea, the Web vm is a poor choice for where to
hook up the 100GB volume as noted in the reply from osuosl. So is there
another vm that we'd prefer to attach it to?

I was actually surprised to learn 2011.foss4g was on Web, I thought it
would have been on webextra with the 2010 foss4g.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to add the drive that makes sense?