[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #19824] Networking issues to OSUOSL

Alan Sherman via RT support at osuosl.org
Wed Nov 2 12:22:24 EDT 2011

On Wed Nov 02 11:05:48 2011, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having serious trouble getting to many of the OSGeo-hosted servers
in
> OSUOSL, starting at 6:47AM eastern time.
>
> This appears to be affecting many OSUOSL services, including Drupal,
> Freenode, and OSUOSL's own website, so I assume that this is a wider
> networking event and not specific to our servers, but wanted to report
> it so you were aware.
>
> In some cases, it looks like HTTP traffic isn't let through while ssh
> traffic is; in other cases, it just looks like sparadic slowness in
> connections.
>
> In most cases, it does not seem like small ICMP traffic is affected;
> however, larger packet sizes do seem to be affected. With 200 byte
> packets, I'm getting:
>
> 19 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 52.6% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 108.888/111.002/112.109/1.159 ms
>
> With 150 bytes, I'm getting:
>
> 17 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 11.8% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 111.543/114.007/117.911/1.896 ms
>
> With 500 bytes, I'm getting nothing at all.
>
> We appreciate any response you can offer on recovery + anything
> we can do to help the situation.
>
> Best Regards,
> Christopher Schmidt

Our upstream provider NERO experienced a fault on one linecard of a core
router in Portland this morning, 11/2/2011, at around 0340 PDT (1040
UTC). Between 0340 and 0525 PDT (1040-1225 UTC) traffic was impacted
passing to/from the Internet until the problem was isolated and
resolved. At this point the cause appears to have been a software fault.
It appears that this only affected some of the routes to/from the OSL
from my investigation (primarily non-I2 routes seemed to not be
affected). I am waiting on confirmation on this assumption.

All services should be back to normal as of 0525 PDT. I apologize for
the issues this caused earlier this morning.

Thanks!

--
Alan Sherman
Student Systems Administrator