[SAC] Spam in Wiki

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Sep 1 04:19:41 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> ps- I just noticed a lot of spam in the recent history of the
>> Live_GIS_Disc page, I can spend half an hour manually deleting
>> it but how/where should we report users/IPs to be banned? aka is
>> it possible to undo all edits by that spam account with a single
>> action?
>
> In the GRASS GIS Wiki, we use
>
>  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpamBlacklist
>
> in order to block IPs and IP ranges.

Even better:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Range_blocks

(needs $wgSysopRangeBans = true; LocalSettings.php).

<important>
In our GRASS Wiki, we have this in LocalSettings.php:

/**
* Should editors be required to have a validated e-mail
* address before being allowed to edit?
*/
$wgEmailConfirmToEdit=true;

which I actually don't see in the OSGeo Wiki. This would explain
these tons of spam since the captcha doesn't help any more.

I just create a testuser_sac right now and see
"A confirmation code was sent to your e-mail address. This code is not
required to log in,  <--- !!!!!
 but you will need to provide it before enabling any e-mail-based
features in the wiki."

That's really BAD.
</important>

Who's maintaining LocalSettings.php? Please enable email *confirmation* for
new users (see above). I am tired of cancelling rubbish...

Markus