[SAC] Wiki, Membership app form & LDAP

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Wed Sep 28 12:54:40 EDT 2011

Hi Jorge,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:14:28PM +0100, Jorge Gustavo wrote:

> Maybe email addresses might match better than usernames. Can we use
> the email addresses in LDAP and in the Wiki to see how many we can
> match?

Yes, that's an option I was planning to keep for another, independent
consistency check  ;-)

> I won't be able to do it right now, but tomorrow I can try to see
> the if the best match is between usernames or email addresses.

This comparison is quite simple. We're having:

3802 Unique EMail addresses in the Wiki, which pass a very simple
    consistency check (containing an "@" sign  :-)
5266 Unique EMail addresses in LDAP
697 Matches between Wiki and LDAP EMail addresses

> Meanwhile, I've started to use LDAP authentication in our local
> chapter's mediawiki, and the LDAP extension works great. It can read
> LDAP and update LDAP. Users can change passwords, for example, in
> the regular wiki way, and passwords are updated on the LDAP.

Indeed, adding LDAP authentication to MediaWiki is no rocket science,
yet I doubt that I'd really trust MediaWiki to maintain a password for
me which is being used for such a broad range of services, including
sensitive ones  ;-)

Maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyhow, for whichever web page is being used
for entering/changing not only OSGeo-LDAP but any password I'd
strongly recommend to secure the pages with SSL encryption (via the
SecurePages addon in MediaWiki for example).  If you already did that,
consider my remark as a friendly reminder  ;-)

Cheers,