[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Feb 1 23:36:14 EST 2012

On 02/01/2012 05:25 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Hi OSU OSL Admins,
>
> We have attempted a Debian Dist upgrade today for the
> OSGeo ProjectsVM (projects.osgeo.osuosl.org).  While it
> mostly seems to have gone well, after reboot it did not come
> back properly.  We suspect grub issues.  Lacking console
> access it is hard for us to diagnose.
>
> Could someone take a look and/or provide us with console
> access?  I shall endevour to be available (FrankW) in #osuosl
> to consult.
>
> Best regards,

Lance looked into it and fixed grub. Here are some notes/suggestions for
the next machine we decide to upgrade:

run grub-install --force /dev/vda before rebooting

Has something to do with how our virtual machine disks were originally
made and the fact that the debian upgrade is pushing grub2 as a
replacement to grub.

ProjectsVM should now be booted. Looks like it's ready for login, is the
upgrade done?