[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 04:49:03 EST 2012

 Hamish wrote:
> > ha! you'll enjoy this fix:
> >   sudo apt-get install mysql-server
>
> Wow.
> The upgrade procedure of Debian is really convincing :(

"mysql-server" is a dummy package which just depends on the latest
version of mysql-server-*.

I'm pretty sure what happened is that at the time of the original
install that package wasn't installed, and the deeper mysql-server-5.0
one was directly installed instead. so the upgrade knew that -5.0 wasn't
compatible with the new mysql libraries and it had to be removed*, but
because the generic "task" package wasn't installed it didn't know we
wanted a newer one.

[*] usually it complains a lot about that, but 'dist-upgrade' specifically
makes those complaints non-fatal and just goes for it.

suggestion for other VMs: make sure the "mysql-server" package is installed
if the "mysql-server-5.0" one is now.

see also /usr/share/doc/mysql-server-5.1/NEWS.Debian.gz
and look for "Table upgrade required" warnings in /var/log/daemon.log

> Fine, the GRASS Wiki is back, too...

great. (fwiw I notice the oholo image on the wiki front-page isn't working
anymore, and it seems to be really struggling to load sub-pages)

thanks,
Hamish