[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Feb 9 09:02:55 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:55:00AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> As posted several times, the server is bombed with requests. Nothing
>> strange at all.
>> We have 200 workers or so and they are all saturated. That's why the performance
>> is (too) low. I played shortly with 256 workers but then reduced again.
>>
>> Of course we have to solve this!
>
> Definitely.  Anyhow, developing a solution which may run unattended for
> a while without doing more harm than good isn't *that* simple  ;-)
> .... and I'm unaware of readily available solutions working right out
> of the box.

I wonder how to block IP ranges with "iptools". I only understood how to block
individual addresses.

Motivation: If you filter the offending IP addresses by referer
string, you can quickly
identify a few blocks of server farms which generate most traffic (and IP whois
shows some clear indication). I guess we could have good effect by blocking
a few IP ranges.

Markus