[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Fri Feb 10 15:55:56 EST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 3:36 PM, ext Hamish wrote:

> christopher wrote:
>> - This default configuration from Debian is, in my opinion,
>> So Completely broken -- it basically makes any machine
>> trying to use proxying a completely open proxy to the internet,
>> which is So Very Wrong.
>
> are you sure it's a default? I've checked a number of other squeeze
> webservers (post-upgrade) and none of them have it turned on; I see
> no other complaints in the debian bug tracker; and a quick web search
> didn't come up with a sea of irate forum posts...

Hm. Maybe it was changed recently, or something else happened. I know
that the proxy.conf on this machine looked very much like the settings
I had to change on the projects server when we originally set it up,
that I had to change on the OpenLayers server when I set that up, that
I had to change on crschmidt.net when I set that up (but that was ages
ago). I can't ensure that squeeze was like this, for sure, but unless
someone changed mods-enabled/proxy.conf after the upgrade, I think that
would be the case here as well.

Note that it only affects people who enable the proxy module on their
servers, and the instructions do make it quite clear that configuring
it that way is wrong, but I've always found it to be the default
regardless.

*shrug*

-- Chris