[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 02:49:44 EST 2012

Markus wrote:
>> top - 00:21:37 up 10 days,  3:53,  1 user,
>> load average: 42.23, 36.57, 31.99  <<---!!

Hi,

since we know exactly what time it happens each day, today I sat here
and watched it. It's bacula saturating the I/O, causing upwards 50-90% cpu
time spent waiting for the kernel, causing lots of the apache processes
to deadlock, which is [perhaps!] causing a whole bunch of them to respawn
threads, with the old ones left as (hollow) load (reporting) absorbing
zombies for a moment until the prior deadlock clears.  system load is
reporting above 80 as I type this, but it is still responsive. Also I
notice the bacula job is running completely unniced.

suggest to run bacula with nice, and with 'ionice -c3', if for no other
reason than to stop the innocent apaches from getting deadlocked by it.

thanks,
Hamish