[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #20049] OSGeo: adhoc VM down

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:27:53 EST 2012

> Keeping a tarballed copy of /etc in /root somewhere until all is
> verified working is sometimes less confusing than dealing
> with diffs and .dpkg-old copies of the config files.

I'm coming into the conversation late, and haven't read the whole
thread, but this little item caught my eye. Please ignore if
irrelevant.

You might  be interested etckeeper by Joey Hess of debhelper and
debconf fame: http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/etckeeper/. It puts /etc
and apt logs under version control (git, mercurial, darcs, or bzr).

cheers,
--
-matt