[SAC] Hosting of 5 gvSIG mailing lists at OSGeo

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 2 08:26:37 PDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 01:59 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> On 11 June 2012 10:05, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas <jsanz at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm writing on behalf of the gvSIG team to ask for a place to move
>> some mailing lists that we have at this time at JoinUP (formerly
>> OSOR.eu forge). Some months ago we moved our SVN and tickets to a new
>> home (provided by the Valencian govervment) but they don't provide
>> mailing lists so we want to move our OSOR mailing lists to a new place
>> and OSGeo is our first preferred choice.
>>
>> The lists are:
>>
>> - Announces: a general announces list, very low traffic [1]
>> - Announces-es: the same but in Spanish [2]
>> - Development: a general list for developers in English (less traffic
>> than I would like) [3]
>> - TSC: the public list for the Technical Steering Committee (idem) [4]
>> - TSC-priv: private and non archived list for non public messages
>> between TSC members like passing personal info (very low traffic)
>>
>> Other gvSIG mailing lists are at places where we are not able to
>> create more lists and some day (not now at all) we will have to move
>> them to other place like OSGeo if it's possible (in fact I would love
>> to see them at OSGeo).
>>
>> It's possible to move those lists to OSGeo mailman? There's anything
>> more to do from my side?
>>
>> [1] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-Announces-f4102531.html
>> [2] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-Anuncios-f4102595.html
>> [3] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-developers-f4175719.html
>> [4] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/gvSIG-TSC-f4162305.html
>>

> Hi, it's been more than two weeks from my question without any
> feedback (my fault for not being more active on my own question).
>
> It's the SAC list the appropriate place to ask for mailing list
> hosting or I should move it to the Board? Maybe I have to understand
> the lack of answers as a negative response?
>
> Best regards

Yes, the lists can be moved to OSGeo. Please file a ticket on
trac.osgeo.org/osgeo

Likely no one with mailman skills has been available to deal with the
issue. Do you have someone on your team who can help out? I imagine
you'll need to get a dump of subscribers and your archive prepared for
migration. I have no idea how to go about doing that, so if you're team
could figure that out it would save some time.