[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 03:25:33 EST 2012

Markus wrote:
> Right NOW the machine is very slow due to bacula:

yes, every day at this same time for 20-25 minutes.

I just logged in, now the daemon has been reniced to +15 (thanks!), but
the sys load was still >100.0 and waiting for kernel still at >90.0% cpu.

`ionice -p $PID` shows that the daemon has not been ioniced, which is the
main thing that needs to happen to it AFAICT.
  to do that: `ionice -c3 -p $PID`

the /usr/share/bacula-common/common-functions file is '.' sourced when
the bacula daemon starts up, so this would, I think, take care of it:

> edit /usr/share/bacula-common/common-functions
> adding this to the end:
>
> # HB Mod 28 Feb 2012:
> renice +19 -p $$
> ionice -c3 -p $$
>
> then sudo /etc/init.d/bacula-fd restart

maybe it just cures the symptom, but the effects of the symptom are acute,
just takes 30 sec to apply, and should probably be done as good practice
regardless of any other root cause which might also exist.

The Adhoc VM sees the same trouble happening, but on a much smaller scale
with less things running on it and a less frequent full backup (it relies
on incremental backups between the full ones). The next full backup there
is still a few days away, so waiting to see if the above edit to the
'common-functions' file helps much.

as to if the problem existed before upgrade: I don't know. Back in
October '11 it wasn't, a week after upgrade (early Feb '12) it was.
I've have no data between that.

thanks,
Hamish