[SAC] Re: [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Thu Mar 1 19:35:17 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Martin Spott via RT <support at osuosl.org>wrote:

> The combined net disk space on the OSGeo VM's is approx. 2 TByte and,
> even though we currently don't use all of it, I think it's a good idea
> being prepared to do so.

That's going to take a nice chunk of space on our server but
its manageable. Does your project have any funding to offset the costs of
having us do the backups? I can give you an estimate for that if you'd like.

> My favourite is to do one full backup per week, differentials every day
> and to keep a full backup at least until the successor has finished, at
> best until shortly before n+2 gets written to the media.
> I was informed that we don't require retaining months of backup
> history.  Thus the space requirements would account to approx.
> 4.5 - 5 TByte (two full backups plus one busy week of differentials).

We tend to retain more backups ourselves but we can have a specific
schedule for your backups that meet your needs. We currently use SSL
enabled connections so we'll have to give you some keys to get it to work
with our setup. Do you have any special FileSet filters you use so you
don't backup stuff like logs?

> Currently we're backing up approx. 10 clients, I'd expect the number to
> grow slightly.

*nods* Currently restores have to be initiated by us but we are working
towards creating access to work around that. Will this be a problem?

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect                        Open Source Lab