[SAC] Re: [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Mar 2 11:59:33 EST 2012

On 03/02/2012 02:45 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
>>From Lance's response I conclude that we're going to roll our own
> backup, simply because their annual fee for backing up the OSGeo VM's
> by OSL is about twice our single budget for buying a dedicated backup
> machine.
>
> Anyhow I've never understood how OSGeo got into financial obligations
> with respect to the hosting at OSL.
> When the new servers were purchased, everbody was talking about free
> hosting at OSL in the sense of "no matter whatever would happen to
> OSGeo, the server infrastructure won't be affected and will continue".
> Now recently I realized that OSGeo is paying an annual fee of $3.5k for
> hosting the two servers at OSL - which is pretty contradictory to what
> has been communicated before.

We are not under obligation to do so as far as I know. We offered a one
time contribution for their services and assistance to help ensure
future hosting.

> Thus if OSGeo would buy another machine for doing the backup, I
> understand that OSGeo would have to pay another annual fee for hosting
> the third machine.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't object against the figure on the price tag,
> instead I'm aware that the fees at OSL are hard to beat.  Anyhow I
> wonder wether the additional costs for hosting the third machine had
> been taken into account ....
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

I agree the original quote is a little high considering out
alternatives. So some questions, do we really need 5 TB? or would 2.5TB
do for now? Anyone have a counter-proposal we could offer?

The 2 enticing factors about OSUOSL is the buying in to staff time and
offsite backup. 2 things that are not accounted for in buying our own
server.

Now of course the alternate idea is to get a 1U 4 drive x 2/3 TB SATA
drives and run it ourselves. Estimated cost is $2-2.5k
Which we could host at OSUOSL or as discussed before put elsewhere so
the backup is off-site to begin with (Bacula does have a bandwidth
throttle option, and I don't think we move that much data per night to
make it a huge issue, though moving a full 1 TB once a week may not work)

Other opinions, please add in so we can come up with an approach to
bring to the board, and refine our negotiations.