[SAC] Wiki, Membership app form & LDAP

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 30 06:10:05 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> Right now (29 May 2012, 15:19 UTC) I have added a new editing
> captcha (ConfirmEdit) to the wiki. Let's see if that helps to reduce
> the number of junk pages (it will not address the registration of bots,
> however...).
>
> So, please monitor:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

Much better! Almost no more junk pages over the past 24 hs
while spambot registration went on...

To combat that, I have activated this technique:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Anti-spam_features#Blocking_spammer_IPs

I opened a new account "testjunk" and it went through coming from
a "good" IP. Let's monitor if most spambots remain out now...

Greetings from a shaky Northern Italy,
Markus

PS: Sure, we should have done this a year ago...
whoever, to drop all users without a single edit and/or to drop users
based on "well known" IP blocks will be easy to wipe out spambots
from the user list. Something for the migration.