[SAC] Proposals for reducing spam on wiki.osgeo

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 16 00:59:15 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Leo Harris <leo_harris at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have been talking with Markus Neteler about how to reduce spam on the
> osgeo wiki.
>
> I think a combination of these would be useful:
> - Have more people able to delete pages and users

I would propose Leo Harris to be one of these persons.
He does a great ob on cleaning spam:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Leo

but instead of blanking he should be able to delete them
(otherwise I always have to do that = double work).

> - Make it easier for those people to delete pages and users quickly (maybe
> it is easy now, I do not know)
> - Make it easier for "regular" wiki users to report pages or users to be
> deleted
> - Make it impossible for a user to add external links to a page if they have
> not enough edits already (I do not know if this is possible)
> - Make it impossible to add external links if the links are on a blacklist
> (I guess this is already true).  And update this list as necessary.
> - Make it easy to search users (like all users over 1 year old with no
> edits, all users under 1 month old with 1 or 2 edits)
>
> I think the spam situation is now not so bad as it was, but it is
> continuous.  I would like any comments to my suggestions above.

While I am not familiar with the Mediawiki extensions,
I'd vote for the first, to upgrade the status of Leo.

thanks
Markus