[SAC] Timeline for updating the OSGeo VMs?

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Dec 2 05:16:40 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:37:45PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> > The webextra VM is hopefully not too hard, but we do need to be a bit
> > careful with Trac

Ok, at least the "webextra" updates is now solved - even though it took
an unexpected turn  ;-)

> > since I assume we are not running the stock Trac.
>
> ops, hope that got documented.

Actually the primary reason why I didn't touch "trac" so far is the
risk of not having any of the people around for *testing* after update
who will later most certainly blame you for breaking anything.

Do we have a general rule implemented that every project running their
services on OSGeo infrastructure must have at least one maintainer
subscribed to the SAC list ?  If that's the case, then I'd simply
announce upgrading one week in advance so every project can arrange
their testing.

> > The www.osgeo.org machine running ancient RHEL won't be upgraded, but
> > hopefully it will soon be replaced with a new web VM at OSU OSL.
>
> Looking forward to that since it will also free up money allocated to
> the renting of the old server.

As far as I can tell, we're lacking ressources for porting the Drupal
code to a past-5.3 version.

> >> I actually do security fixes (manually) on all machines regularly
> >> (those I know at least).
> >
> > Ah, cool.  It might be nice to document this procedure in the wiki with a
> > brief note on when it was last done, so that others could also assist.
>
> I do that for years in race condition with Martin Spott :-)

Affirmative  :-)

> I have my friendly apticron report which kindly sends me an email in
> case of updates coming in. Upon that I perform the update accordingly.
> Likewise Martin AFAIK.

I usually test on one or two local machines. Sometimes I don't ....

Cheers,