[SAC] Space on Backup

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Feb 4 01:35:39 PST 2013

Hi Alex,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 01:21:48AM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:

> It's easy enough to tell Bacula to only use X amount and recycle the
> oldest volumes after that. We should probably do that in order to avoid
> disk full which could happen at any point right now. I suggest we come
> up with a reasonable number and set it for now while we work on figuring
> out the whole 3rd server idea.

a) I've already reduced the retention period at least twice during the
   past months, and, of course, it can be reduced even further.  Yet,
   there's no more room for a "reasonable" number in the sense of
   having a backup you can rely on ....  well, the entire idea of doing
   the backup on the same hardware which runs (at least some of) the
   machines you back up is, to put it mildly, slightly unreasonable  ;-)
b) Disk full already happened during the past weekend.

Cheers,