[SAC] [OSGeo] #1055: OSGeo Service Provider Directory Broken

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jan 9 07:44:34 PST 2013

Frank,

We do the same for GeoMoose with regard to the linking.  I also immediately want to take this further, and discovered the limitation with the current system with regard to making architecture changes.

My interest is in making it more accessible to new project service providers by replicating these types of links out into the projects themselves, complete with access to the forms for new registrations, I would also like to add in some optional extended attributes for the providers. Possibly even add in some methof for valididation of Emails by sending out periodic reminders, etc.

The separation aspect really relates to me having the maintenance duties separated from everything else.  As far as the Styling, that should be dependent on the particular client, the linking to the new service from OSGEO would use the existing style, for example, while also allow projects the option of using their respective styles.

Another thought that occurred to me after sending the initial email was the idea that being separated, the service provider directory could become a project of sorts unto itself, similarly to the LiveDVD.  It could be inserted into the LiveDVD for example at each stamping, dependent on some FORM checkbox.  There's not really a method in the current OSGeo domain for anyone to provide feedback or introduce ideas about how things might be improved, other than this list (that I know of).

Some of these thoughts are longer term, but you get the idea about why I think the separation aspect might be the thing to implement first.

Bobb

bobb