[SAC] spatialref.org

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jun 11 09:44:03 PDT 2013

All,

I'm willing to help on this, but need to share some recent experiences as a disclaimer (of sorts) . . .

Well first, since it's a service (most importantly) I would think putting it on it's own VM/hardware (well actually Hardware/VM is my preferred order, read on) would be the first thing to do.  Services should not go down or get broken because of infrastructure changes to a service (in my mind).  I tend to opt for leaving a service alone once it's up and running, it can be augmented, but any sort of major redo suggests setting up the service all over again, which sounds like where the SR.org site is at in it's lifecycle.

I'm doing something similar here with a 7 year old system as a matter of fact, it's run just fine over the years, in a 24/7 mode, going down a total of three times while on it's own hardware, all three times being network related and beyond my control.  I'm much more comfortable with using a new piece of hardware instead of being at the mercy of a VM farm, which seems to go up/down almost weekly for maintenance of this or that, and which I have little control over.

In the interests of stability, I tend to use dedicated hardware for (each) service, does it cost more (I would argue no, based on the longevity of a service).

Ok, that's off my chest, so do you still want me to help  :c)

Can someone shoot me the last couple of years of usage logs, or even a usage summary of the site?  I may have some options for homing on dedicated space if that's of interest.

Bobb