[SAC] Timeline for updating the OSGeo VMs?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 17 13:37:45 PST 2013

Frank,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> The webextra VM is hopefully not too hard, but we do need to be a bit
> careful with Trac

right!

> since I assume we are not running the stock Trac.

ops, hope that got documented.

> The www.osgeo.org machine running ancient RHEL won't be upgraded, but
> hopefully it will soon be replaced with a new web VM at OSU OSL.

Looking forward to that since it will also free up money allocated to
the renting of the old server.

>> I actually do security fixes (manually) on all machines regularly
>> (those I know at least).
>
> Ah, cool.  It might be nice to document this procedure in the wiki with a
> brief note on when it was last done, so that others could also assist.

I do that for years in race condition with Martin Spott :-)
So it is more effort for me documenting each time the update in the
Wiki rather than just doing it.

> Do you have a sense of how frequently we ought to be doing this?  Weekly?
> Monthly?

I have my friendly apticron report which kindly sends me an email in
case of updates coming in. Upon that I perform the update accordingly.
Likewise Martin AFAIK.

Best
Markus