[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs (Update 2013-09-18: the server has arrived)

Martin Spott via RT support at osuosl.org
Wed Sep 18 16:36:42 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 01:34:25PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:

> I'm still discussing with my team if this should be ganeti based or just
> direct OS on the metal.

A schema I've been successfully using on a couple of production
machines on bare metal:

1). Leave 10 MByte empty space (unused primary partition) at the
    beginning of every physical harddisk to make room for hungry boot
    loaders (to extend the embedding area).
2.) Create an MD physical RAID5 disk over all available disk space.
3.) Put an LVM2 volume group on top of that.
4.) Create volumes "boot" 256 MByte Ext2, "root" 20 GByte XFS, "swap"
    whatever you like, "var" 20 GByte XFS.
5.) Use the remaining disk space for the particular purpose.

Cheers,