[SAC] QGIS servers

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Wed Sep 25 10:08:07 PDT 2013

Hi Alex,

thanks for your thourough answers, some comments from my side:

>> We have been investigating 'Dockers' to ease this separation, and make
>> https://www.docker.io/
> ah very similar to vagrant and other VM creation
> tools. Copying a whole VM in and out is not hard.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Vagrant is about juggling
around VM's, while Docker is more lightweight, more like separating
environments with cgroups or virtualenv (but then on OS level)?

Pzl have a look [0] and [1] and correct me if wrong.

>> I also investigated the costs of running a rented server (eg at hetzner:
>> 2x2Tb disk, 32 gb RAM, i7-8core etc for 49 euro).
>>
> 1 year of hosting on this = purchase price of such a machine.

Is this really so? 600 euro (incl 19% tax) for such a server? I would
think you needed at least two years (but then not having the support and
harddisk guarantees).

To me it seemed that it was hard to win from this Hetzner guys, but I'm
fine with OSGeo providing such a server. It's not that we want to flee
from the flock or so. Should I officially 'order' it here? Please let me
know the exact costs (for specs see [2] as an example), and how to
proceed then.

Anyway, first let's upgrade current VM, so I can split up the
documentation/website builds from the serving dirs (currently there is
no diskspace for this).

Regards and thanks for the work you do here,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16647069/should-i-use-vagrant-or-docker-io-for-creating-an-isolated-envinronment
[1]