[SAC] build server

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun Sep 29 11:44:48 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:49:02AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:

> Well QGIS already has been running all these builds on their VM, with
> nice.

The KVM infrastructure as a whole doesn't benefit from stuff running
with 'nice' on one of the VM's.
In other words: I observe the QGIS VM doing a lot of writes - the
entire VM hosting just one single !!  project - while the Projects VM,
which is supposed to reside on the same KVM host and hosts half a
dozend projects (or even more) is suffering from considerable I/O
latency at the same time.

Not only are QGIS receiving preferred treatment by having their own VM,
no, at the same time they also hurt other projects by consuming more
ressources than half a dozend projects consume in total - and I'm
pretty certain that in the earlier days of this infrastructure there
was general agreement not to allow build services.

Don't get me wrong, I do *not* generally dislike the QGIS folks or
their project, but when using a common ressource pool, everybody should
comply with the same rules.

Cheers,