[SAC] Hosting for http://openstreetmap.org.ar/

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Apr 5 13:33:53 PDT 2014

A few new details relevant to this discussion based on recent server events.

1. OSGeo's current machines do not have capacity for additional high I/O
jobs. Serving relatively static data is no big dealing, generating tiles
is potentially an issue.

2. I spoke with Grant an admin at OSM, and he was confused as to why the
request didn't go to their team. I think he might be on this list now.
This page is enlightening, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers
They too lack any mirrors in South America and currently use North
American. We haven't ruled out collaborating on some additional North
American servers.

3. We're real close to finally shutting down osgeo1, and osgeo3/4 are
both 3-4 years old now. What does this mean? We will probably start
discussing new hardware in the new future, which includes a discussion
of what do we want this hardware to be able to do and where do we want
to put it.

http://www.telegeography.com/assets/website/images/maps/global-internet-map-2012/global-internet-map-2012-l.png
Implies that Florida might be a good place. Or a South Eastern US
university.