[SAC] Mailman Postfix tuning - Urgent

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Apr 18 18:03:05 PDT 2014

Disk rebuild on osgeo4 is taking longer than expected. Not sure why, but
even with all the VMs off it was going at 2%/hour.

After a couple of hours I turned on Mail so that we wouldn't impact the
mailing lists for too long. The problem here is that Mail is the biggest
i/o user on osgeo4.

Poking around and reading up, I think there are some things that can be
done to make Mail behave better but would really prefer someone who
knows postfix step in and help out here.

Ideas and observations:
Ram-disk for the queues? (Yes we can allocate more ram to the instance)

We seem to have a high deferred queue, do we need to clean out bad
addresses? Perhaps increase the delay time, or spin off the deferred
queue to another "graveyard" server?

Is apache being hammered by bots scanning the archives?