[SAC] Hosting for http://openstreetmap.org.ar/

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 19 08:30:52 PDT 2014

Hello SAC,

I have been contacted by Fernando Sanz from Argentina, who is the
webmaster/everything for http://openstreetmap.org.ar/ (his user account:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/cyph3r)

I have met Fernando, at FOSS4G-Buenos Aries, and he is highly respected
and active in the Argentina OSM community.  In fact he won a scholarship
to attend SotM-US last year, but he could not afford the flight cost
(see bottom of
http://openstreetmap.us/2013/06/announcing-scholarship-winners-sotmus/)

Another interesting note: SofM 2014 event will be hosted there in
Argentina in October.

Anyway, he needs hosting for the OSM node in Argentina. It will be a
demanding site instance, because it needs to generate lots of tiles,
consume lots of RAM, when rendering on the fly etc.

I feel we, OSGeo, should help out the OSM community in this instance and
provide hosting. However something like our AdhocVM wouldn't be useful
for his instance, as his site would take up too many resources.

So, all this to ask, can we help him/them?

Thanks,

-jeff