[SAC] New Vms w/ Debian 7

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri May 9 12:20:42 PDT 2014

We're currently stuck in a weird spot with trying to upgrade to Debian
7, a relic of the original VM disk layout that doesn't get along with GRUB2.

The fastest way to get there seems to be to do a new Base VM based on
debian 7 and clone it. This would be a good idea if we want to start
making smaller VMs to split apart some services into more isolation.
On the one hand its more VMs or containers to deal with, on the other it
might bring happy faces and stability to more things.

Our other option is some hackery to try and make current Vms upgradeable.

Currently the only requests I've heard for a new VM is from QGIS who
wants to remove their cruft from the existing VM by starting fresh
(since they moved all but 2 sites to another server elsewhere anyways).

I wouldn't be opposed to some others moving off of Projects in a similar
manner. We can worry about the main osgeo services separately.

This of course leaves some questions:
Who can help setup the new base vm?
Should we implement puppet or chef, etc to make managing more servers
easier?
Should we consider using LXC containers to isolate projects from each
other on a common kernel?