[SAC] New Vms w/ Debian 7

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sat May 10 04:48:43 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 10:45:10AM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

> To throw in some experience: we migrated our FEM PGIS cluster from
> ext3 to XFS several years ago and did not regret this decision.

*Before* XFS was available on Linux, my workplace machine at home was
an Indigo2 MI.  After I accidendially turned off the main switch I was
very surprised because a) the machine recovered rather quickly after
turning it on again, almost as fast as on a regular boot and b) nothing
was lost.  Thus, as soon as the first 'official' XFS patch was
available for Linux 2.4.4 in 2001 (!), I've been using it regularly on
Linux as well and I never experienced any data loss due to filesystem
errors.

I admit, earlier versions of XFS for Linux had been a little bit
sensitive to corrupt block devices and I don't want to get into the
position to fix XFS inode tables manually (like I did with Ext2), but
overall I'd say it's the most stable, 'native' solution, especially for
"low maintenance" (TM) production servers running Linux.

I've been using ZFS on a couple of Sun Ultra-something machines running
Solaris (production database and file servers for hundreds of users)
with shared, redundant FC-storage and found it to be *very* convenient
and performant, but, as far as I understand, we're not going to see
native ZFS support in Linux.  FreeBSD does ZFS and the interface and
tools very much resemble those on Solaris.

Cheers,