[SAC] New Server Feedback or Vote

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 7 12:56:38 PDT 2015

You are correct, often times the difference is the Firmware not the
hardware.

The Raid 50 was about safety without compromising performance and faster
rebuilds. Price wise the 6x240 is still cheaper than 3x480 (in general,
though in this case only by ~$250). http://amzn.com/B006VCP9PM  is
likely what I would buy if we bought 3rd party or something similar and
the price spikes above 300GB still (not linear). Though from Silicon
Mechanics the price jumps do appear linear.

More background reading "Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a
long time" http://ars.to/T4dLhF

3rd party does make things more annoying for warranty service. Under
this plan we just call Silicon Mechanics and they handle replacing it.

Convenience is important since we don't have physical access ourselves
and want to make hosting this as little work as possible for OSUOSL.

Your plan does make sense if we think about replacing both osgeo3 and
osgeo4 with only 1 machine. Adding the extra 3 drives next year. Under
that idea I would also suggest bumping to 8 core for 16 total instead of 12.