[SAC] New Server Feedback or Vote

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Apr 8 08:20:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> For comparison here's the 480GB SSD idea.
> http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i57328/8-drive-xeon-1u.php?cp=pGV4AmV2ZF4kAmDkAwHlZQZ5YwDmBQD2ZD%3D%3D&config_id=1733315

I like the 480.  No one ever says, "I wish we had less storage or
fewer available bays."

I would suggest even filling more of the bays with 480s.  How many
years do we plan to run these?  How much storage do we plan to have by
the end?  How difficult is it to get extra drives ordered and time
zones coordinated and have OSL put the drive in?  Rebuild times have
not been trivial (I know these are SSDs but still it is easier to do
it in advance).

SAC has deferred new machines for a long time so I don't think that
the additional cost is a big deal.

Best regards, Eli