[SAC] Malware alarm: QGIS, ... sites

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri Aug 7 07:11:22 PDT 2015

On 07-08-15 15:38, Markus Neteler wrote:
> when using Chrome/Chromium:
>
> http://www.qgis.org/
> The site ahead contains harmful programs
>
> Attackers on www.qgis.org might attempt to trick you into installing
> programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing
> your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit).
>

> likewise for other *.osgeo.org sites...
>
> Now what?

Hi Markus,

This was reported on the qgis lists [0]
I tried to do some further digging for QGIS, and (because I have
godaddy/DNS access for qgis.org) registred:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

the sent you to this page:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.qgis.org

and only show use the msg above. There is also the possibillity to get
sample url's for the malicious pages, but for what I tried all these
lists are emtpy!

There is the possibility to do a 'malware review request' which I did
just 6 hours ago, and now I receive the message:

"Google has received and processed your malware review request.
Unfortunately, http://www.qgis.org/ appears to be still infected with
malware that can harm visitors. Google will continue to display a
warning whenever a user clicks a link to your site from our search results."

BUT again: NO url's or further info :-(

@markus were you able to find another osgeo-url which gave this msg?

I'm not sure what Google meant by 'infected networks', we probably all
have the same network ranges...???

But as a sidenote: Nyall also noted that dash had the same msg [1]

Anyway, if somebody has further info, please let us know.

[0] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2015-August/038774.html
[1] https://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/index.php

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde