[SAC] Slack and OSGeo

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sat Aug 22 11:44:15 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 01:12:11PM -0400, Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Any thoughts on using Gitter

When I entered OSGeo, a lot of tech talk was carried out on the
#telascience IRC channel. That's perfect and I can use IRC from a
remote SSH session in a terminal window.  Apparently a lot of it has
moved elsewhere, maybe to a different IRC channel - I don't know.

Now people are talking about Slack or Gitter -  and I wonder wether I'm
just being too old-style.  To be honest, I really don't understand the
net benefit, can someone please explain to me ....  or do people use
these new communication channels just because they can ?

Cheers,