[SAC] Slack and OSGeo

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Aug 23 15:36:39 PDT 2015

On 2015-08-23 07:34, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2015 3:31 PM, "Jeff McKenna" <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have enabled the IRC and XMPP gateways (per steps provided by Jurgen,
> thanks!).  If you are already a member of the OSGeo "team", your steps to
> enable are at: https://osgeo.slack.com/account/gateways
>
> Well, I also don't understand yet what this slack is about... Why do we
> want it and why change the current way of operations?
>
> Was this anyhow discussed in this list?
>
> Thanks
> Markus

IRC on Freenode is still the main place Open Source
projects/developers/etc talk.

Slack, Gitter, Hipchat are essentially glorified IRC clients running on
their own servers and are more common among commercial developers and
specific communities (Gitter to Github and Hipchat to Atlassian
(Bitbucket, Jira etc). They are also more user friendly for
non-developers. Sidenote, many of the services can be hit via and IRC,
or XMPP client also.

#telascience will still remain the main SAC place to chat, partly
because it is not logged.

The rest of the the osgeo IRC channels will also continue, #osgeo,
#qgis, #gdal, etc (at least the ones that are currently in use).

I think having the options is fine for each project to decide which
places they'd like to push their community to communicate under. IRC
never really took off for some and probably never will.