[SAC] Upcoming Changes 2015

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 21 14:45:38 PST 2015

We're planning to swap the dead disk out of osgeo4 on Friday. Hopefully
this will minimize impact on QGIS and OSGeoLive which are both releasing
this week.

Long term, I'm in talks with OSUOSL on a new plan to rack new hardware
and retire OSGeo4. It's unreliable and a power hog (870W redundant).
Turns out OSUOSL's biggest constraints right now are power and staff time.

We should be finalizing a proposal this week to:
1. Rack a new server (latest updated quote, expect 3-5% of the price to
get knocked off for the non-profit price).
http://www.siliconmechanics.com/quotes/284582?confirmation=1523506908

2. Rack a FreeBSD build machine Astrodog is donating. He's going to put
a Debian flavored BSD so it will behave similar to debian but be able to
run jails for FreeBSD building. Extra resources can be used for VMs, or
other services (maybe a failover for critical services).

3. Pay for the OSUOSL staff time to get the racking done in a timely manner.

4. Explore a deal to use the OSUOSL Supercell build farm for continuous
integration, etc...

As usual see the wiki for more details.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014

I'll be back when I have the proposal, to solicit feedback and approvals
for any monetary expenditures.