[SAC] Upcoming Changes 2015

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Feb 22 09:55:13 PST 2015

On 02/21/2015 02:45 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> We're planning to swap the dead disk out of osgeo4 on Friday. Hopefully
> this will minimize impact on QGIS and OSGeoLive which are both releasing
> this week.
>
> Long term, I'm in talks with OSUOSL on a new plan to rack new hardware
> and retire OSGeo4. It's unreliable and a power hog (870W redundant).
> Turns out OSUOSL's biggest constraints right now are power and staff time.
>
> We should be finalizing a proposal this week to:
> 1. Rack a new server (latest updated quote, expect 3-5% of the price to
> get knocked off for the non-profit price).
> http://www.siliconmechanics.com/quotes/284582?confirmation=1523506908
>
> 2. Rack a FreeBSD build machine Astrodog is donating. He's going to put
> a Debian flavored BSD so it will behave similar to debian but be able to
> run jails for FreeBSD building. Extra resources can be used for VMs, or
> other services (maybe a failover for critical services).
>
> 3. Pay for the OSUOSL staff time to get the racking done in a timely manner.
>
> 4. Explore a deal to use the OSUOSL Supercell build farm for continuous
> integration, etc...
>
> As usual see the wiki for more details.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Transition_Plan_2014
>
> I'll be back when I have the proposal, to solicit feedback and approvals
> for any monetary expenditures.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Had to revise the machine hardware based on new information from the
vendor. Now with all SSD drives, newer CPU. Pretty much the same price,
a little less usable disk but still 1.4+ TB after we software raid
http://www.siliconmechanics.com/quotes/284594

Actual price is probably under $6,000.

PS: Shipping to Oregon so there might not be sales tax?