[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #27802] Mirroring OSGeo Downloads over OSUOSL ftp Service

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Oct 28 12:21:53 PDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 09:16 AM, Alex M wrote:
> On 10/15/2015 08:48 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:

>>> From my perspective I'd say no individual account is required. Let's
>>> keep the profile as low as possible and instead provide an Rsync-
>>> service to OSL, they just need to provide an IP address they use for
>>> pulling from Rsync.
>>>
>>> OSL folks, does this sound reasonable to you ?
>>>
>>> 	Martin.
>>>

>> The only issue with that is that we can't control the timing in the
>> event we need to push files, or re-arrange the source machines.
>>
>> Maybe we should discuss a little more 1st. It's not a bad thing to know
>> the IPs they plan to sync with anyways.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> I thought about this some more, I see issues with either setup.
>
> 1. We simply open an rsync process restricted to IP and allow OSUOSL to
> pull.
>
> The problem here is we don't have direct control to allow for changing
> sources, using multiple sources, throttling the speed, picking the timing.
>
> 2. We get an account with a set list of SAC admins keys allowed.
>
> The problem here is we'd need a key to push with from a cron job. Seems
> somewhat unsafe to create a passphrase-less key for this.
>

> Solution: Both
>
> Why don't we have osuosl create an account, with a set list of SAC admin
> keys. This allows us to login and configure the rsync pull ourselves and
> time it with crontab. They might even be able to delegate the http conf
> file for our domain to us too.
>

> I recommend the following SAC admin keys, and solicit suggestion for
> anyone else that should have configuration access:
> Alex M.
> Martin S.
> Jurgen F.
> Frank W.
>
> I'd like to get this figured out by the end of this week.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Anyone else need to be added to this list. Since downloads is such an
important service I want to make sure we've got enough backup people to
step in when needed. I suppose most people will continue to just push to
upload.osgeo.org and it will sync magically to the download.osgeo and
all will be good.

I'll send OSUOSL the publickeys later today.