[SAC] Fwd: foss4g.org EXPIRES December 19th, 2015

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Sep 23 14:04:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 12:57 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>> Interesting, but expensive point
>>
>> Why expensive? A .org costs me 6 Euros per year. Or am I missing something?
>>
>> We could keep communitymapbuilder.org for another year containing just
>> a redirect, then let it expire.
>>
>> Just an idea,
>> Markus
>>

> It gets expensive when you have many such sites. Yes it's $13 USD/yr (if
> you pay 5 years at a time). If we did that for all such sites, and
> including registering all .com and common similar names. We start

I was thinking just real domains that have been in use and potentially
have links to them.  Preferably only if they have traffic.

> talking about hundreds of dollars a year for sites we don't actually
> use. I'm more inclined to get .com variants than other things for
> protecting namespace.
>
> It can easily become a financial and technical burden (mostly time to
> keep track of it all) if we keep all such sites. That savings can
> directly be applied to new domains for new projects, which does come up
> each year.
>
> This discussion really applies to foss4g####.org which was in use before
> 2009 ( I think we moved to sub-domains after that ). If people think we
> should keep those old names, we can (note foss4g2008.org expired earlier
> this month).
>
> What would you redirect communitymapbuilder.org to? Based on Jeff's
> statement this hasn't been in use since 2008

For anything that is no longer relevant and has traffic, OSGeo.org.
OSGeo.org is the best place to both learn that some domain and project
is no longer active as well as find what you want to use next.

If there is no traffic, my opinion is let it go.  I just don't want to
see OSGeo/OSGeo projects' popularity and credibility used to sell
dubious ads.

Eli