[SAC] [Qgis-psc] Osgeo Code signing certificates

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Tue Apr 19 23:43:51 PDT 2016

On 20-04-16 07:55, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> Could OSGeo take an official position against this reduction of user
> freedom when it comes to running an Apple system, and provide hints
> to take back ownership of owned machines ?

Hi Sandro,

How would you see this 'official position'?
An article on the osgeo.org frontpage?

I'm with you that I would be more happy if everybody ran Debian Linux!
Reality is that there are a lot of (Q)GIS Mac users, AND there are FOSS
people wanting to put energy in it to Mac packaging etc. Then at least
let the FOSS experience be a good experience and package it as easy as
possible for them.

> And, as I suggested in another thread, _require_ the payment of a fee
> for _downloading_ a signed binary ? The user would then be challenged
> to either pay to keep using Gatekeeper or learn to kill it...

Well, personally I think that is a good idea: we can make two downloads:
- 10 dollar for signed installer
- free one (plus docs how to install!) for the unsigned one
( though we need two package processes then :-( )
I'll put it on the agenda for next PSC meeting to discuss this

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde