[SAC] [OSGeo] #1633: Update OSGeo SSL certificate - if needed

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 26 22:30:07 PDT 2016

No suggestions. We need a new top domain and wildcard cert in place end
of this week to avoid service interruption. While letsencrypt sounds
great I'm not ready to jump in without running it for a while on test
domains (volunteers welcome). Mostly I'm worried about the overhead of
dealing with renewals (automated or not), every 2 months we'd need to
make sure it goes smooth.

A brief review, our current provider
https://www.instantssl.com/compare-ssl-certificates.html want $405/yr

Looking at some reviews
https://www.ssl.com/buy-ssl-wildcard-certificate/ can give us the same
for ~$250/yr

I'm recommending 2-3 year cert this time (last time was a 5 yr). The
gives us some time to think and test, and things will probably change
even more in that time.

Please chime in, as we need to get this process started today. Alternate
suggested vendors are welcome.