[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Aug 31 14:43:43 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 01:17:01PM -0700, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Last week the board decided to try some new technologies that members have
> used on other projects.
>
> - To replace email voting --> Loomio (Anita has already set up
> https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board )
> - To replace IRC ---> gitter (like slack but more integrated with github)

Just to add some prospective: Loomio is free software [1], while
Gitter is proprietary. An alternative to Gitter, with LDAP support,
could be https://www.mattermost.org/features/ -- please consider
giving it a try. NOTE: mattermost is written in Go (making it very
easy to deploy) and supports a PostgreSQL backend.

> It looks like we may be able to allow people to sign in with github
> or twitter.

A self-hosted solution would allow people to sign in with their
OSGeo Userid.

See also https://opensource.com/alternatives/slack