[SAC] Running an osgeo docker registry

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 25 06:38:16 PDT 2016

On 07/25/2016 03:14 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> As more and more services are distributed as docker images and most
> modern continuous integration services rely on docker images to do
> their work, I think it would be useful to have an OSGeo docker
> registry where OSGeo projects can push their images, using the OSGeo
> Userid as authentication.
>
> I've setup a private registry on my own host and started using it
> for fetching build-test images for PostGIS, GEOS and Librttopo,
> but my test setup doesn't use the OSGeo LDAP for authentication.
>
> The space taken by my 4 docker images is currently 2.6G.
> I guess it may grow easily, but space shouldn't be a big issue
> these days, right ?
>
> As we've been discussing about getting more disk space for
> the "download" machine, can we take in account a possible
> increase in disk space due to serving docker images too ?
>
> Or should we just surrender to the centralization of docker hub ?
>
> --strk;

I would do Docker Hub but not rule out our own at some point. Since
there are already many OSGeo things on Docker Hub it makes sense for us
to maintain an official section just like we do on Github.

Go ahead and get started on registering OSGeo with them, or is there
someone really into Docker that wants to take lead?