[SAC] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Mantra for osgeo id?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue May 24 08:53:25 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 08:20:11AM -0700, Eli Adam wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 08:28:59AM -0500, Howard Butler wrote:
> >> Can we change the directions for this so people do not go to -discuss? It is a waste of people's attention to be sending this stuff there, and it will cause people to leave the list.
> >
> > I was hoping for the mantra to become a way to get new users
> > known at registration time, maybe we could add a recomandation
> > to include such presentation in the email ? Would it be better ?
> >
> > Or would there be another more appropriate "welcome" list for
> > new users ?
>
> This email list seems logical since it is where the people who can
> give out the mantra are located.

Actually I wanted the mantra to be more easily shared with trusted
people. For example we might use a wiki page only visible by
a team that's easy to add/remove by others, like this maybe:

 https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/sac/userid-mantra/wiki/Home

(requires logging in and being either part of SAC or of a dedicated
team called "mantra-readers").

> I see getting the mantra more as a technical hurdle, not a welcome or
> introduction.  Introductions might be appropriate for a small list
> like the conference committee or journal but are not appropriate for a
> large 10,000+ list like discuss.

The thing is you have to subscribe in order to send an email, but the
"discuss" list is the only one that's generic enough to be appropriate
for all users, no matter their specific interest.

For now I just removed the option of sending a mail to a mailing list.

> Most people already know their specific needs, i.e. James knew exactly
> what he wanted to do pertaining to GDAL.

Shall you have better ideas for wording of the page, please send
proposals.

For SAC members: the current text can be seen in the web-cgi-bin
repo on Gogs:
https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/sac/web-cgi-bin/src/master/NEEDMANTRA.html