[SAC] replacing IRC with gitter

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Sep 1 08:29:33 PDT 2016

While I agree with much of what is being said here and I prefer the
open nature of IRC complete with logs,
http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/, that isn't what Jody asked or
necessarily the role of SAC.  Looking at the Board notes,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-8-24#revision_of_tools_facilitating_board_meetings,
this is a three month experiment.

If the Board wants to try what some of us might think are stupid
things, that is their option.

Returning to Jody's original message:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last week the board decided to try some new technologies that members have
> used on other projects.
>
> - To replace email voting --> Loomio (Anita has already set up
> https://www.loomio.org/g/kdSmIwxu/osgeo-board )
> - To replace IRC ---> gitter (like slack but more integrated with github)
>
> To that end I would like ask how we should set up gitter on the SAC mailing
> list before opening up a ticket or doing the work myself.

He asks for information and also offers to do the work.

> OSGeo does have a hit repo here (https://github.com/osgeo).
>
> I know for the geoserver project (as a repo admin) we were able to set up a
> private channel for use in code-sprints
> (https://gitter.im/orgs/geoserver/rooms). It looks like we may be able to
> allow people to sign in with github or twitter.
>
> Could I ask to be added as and admin to https://github.com/OSGeo for
> experimentation?

And he makes a specific permissions request.

Maybe Mateusz's answer of the existing rooms already addresses this in part:

"There is OSGeo rooms, as well as OSGeo/tilecache room already created:

https://gitter.im/orgs/OSGeo/rooms"

Best regards, Eli