[SAC] osgeolive Freenode IRC today

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Apr 19 19:30:38 PDT 2017

Hi SAC -

 today on #osgeolive freenode, a "supybot" from locationpress.com
joined the channel..
I dont recall seeing that before, and I dont recall anyone announcing,
or asking, about placing a bot on the channel

Inquiry with Freenode admins said "it is up to channel policy to decide"

shortly after that discussion, a definitely suspicous new nick joined
as well..
so, by discussing the #osgeolive channel in the admin area, unwanted
attention may have occurred..

next, the following:

--
  darkblue_b what does it mean that chanserv FLAGS says the channel is
not registered?
  darkblue_b no one has admin on it ?
  darkblue_b we have used this channel for years
  gry it means that nobody can OP themselves in the channel unless a)
an existing op ops them, or b) everyone leaves and the first person to
join gets ops, or c) staff op someone by hand
  gry what is the channel name?
  darkblue_b #osgeolive
  darkblue_b osgeo dot org is FOSS, live is our linux thing
  darkblue_b we have a SAC committee but its understaffed
  gry that's not registered, alas (/msg chanserv info #osgeolive)
  darkblue_b ok - the right thing to do is send an email to the
osgeo.org SAC committee, which I can do
  darkblue_b which will make a record of this moment
  darkblue_b then .. I dont know how deeply I want to mess with this..
its just a giant time synch to me
  gry please get the project lead to email projects at freenode.net with
'take over #osgeolive (it is not registered)' in subject line, and
details of the project site, output, and role of the leader (and their
nickserv account name) in the email body
  darkblue_b ok yes
  gry and then message any member of staff, telling them that you'd
like the channel to become registered and the email is already in
--

  I am notifying SAC with this email

   --Brian