[SAC] New Wordpress Install this month [Need Volunteers]

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Aug 15 19:11:26 PDT 2017

The new website overhaul needs a Wordpress instance by the end of August.

The related tasks are here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=!closed&milestone=Website+rebranding+2017

1. We need a volunteer familiar with Wordpress to handle the install and
migration OR we need to identify a contractor (There is $3000 USD
allocated from the Board for this)

2. We need to decide on the best method of deployment: since a
Production and Staging site have been requested, I think we need to do a
multi-site install.

3. Simply installing is not the hard part, it's planning for the db, db
backup, Wordpress upgrade, and LDAP integration that need some thought.

OSGeo7 is still just an idea so that's not an option. So it's seems like
OSGeo6 is the logical place for now.

Something containerized seems like a good idea but I don't know how to
handle the frequent Wordpress upgrades if we do that. A Wordpress docker
is available, but if I understand correctly docker is immutable, so to
upgrade you replace your docker instance with a copy of the new one.
This might work if the docker image includes the plugins we need, media
is in a docker volume, and the db is external on the main host (pretty
sure a Mysql db is there already).

Fallback options include 3rd party hosting like AWS Lightsail,
Wordpress.com or Pantheon. I estimate these options would cost $60-$300/yr