[SAC] New Wordpress Install this month [Need Volunteers]

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Aug 16 11:47:16 PDT 2017

The current OSGeo site uses about 20 GB/month, 20% of a single cpu, and
3-4GB of ram. While I expect the new one to be delivering more data,
most of the options I looked at offered 1TB, or no data cap at all on
the cheapest plans backed by SSD drives, and much newer cpus.

http://www.osgeo.org/awstats/
http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/web.osgeo.org/index.html

Of course if we self host most of that is not an issue. The biggest
concern is keeping it updated and backed up. Some of those features are
part of hosting plans.

On 08/16/2017 06:36 AM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> I think 60-300/year is ambitious/unrealistic. To host sites like this
> properly, it is usually around $100/month ... but would still require
> someone on our side to set things up.
>
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So why wouldn't we host with one of those $60-$300 a year options? Assume we
>> still need effort to set up and integrate etc...
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The new website overhaul needs a Wordpress instance by the end of August.
>>>
>>> The related tasks are here:
>>>
>>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=!closed&milestone=Website+rebranding+2017
>>>
>>> 1. We need a volunteer familiar with Wordpress to handle the install and
>>> migration OR we need to identify a contractor (There is $3000 USD
>>> allocated from the Board for this)
>>>
>>> 2. We need to decide on the best method of deployment: since a
>>> Production and Staging site have been requested, I think we need to do a
>>> multi-site install.
>>>
>>> 3. Simply installing is not the hard part, it's planning for the db, db
>>> backup, Wordpress upgrade, and LDAP integration that need some thought.
>>>
>>> OSGeo7 is still just an idea so that's not an option. So it's seems like
>>> OSGeo6 is the logical place for now.
>>>
>>> Something containerized seems like a good idea but I don't know how to
>>> handle the frequent Wordpress upgrades if we do that. A Wordpress docker
>>> is available, but if I understand correctly docker is immutable, so to
>>> upgrade you replace your docker instance with a copy of the new one.
>>> This might work if the docker image includes the plugins we need, media
>>> is in a docker volume, and the db is external on the main host (pretty
>>> sure a Mysql db is there already).
>>>
>>> Fallback options include 3rd party hosting like AWS Lightsail,
>>> Wordpress.com or Pantheon. I estimate these options would cost $60-$300/yr
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex