[SAC] [Urgent] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Aug 30 13:46:38 PDT 2017

Hi Alex,

I wonder if I am too late, but I'd like to officially respond to your
earlier thread calling for "volunteers" to maintain the new Wordpress
install.

To be honest, as you had said in the OSGeo AGM, in this case for this
ongoing task, I would not use the word volunteer either; as you know, or
for background, I've been quietly maintaining the old osgeo.org site for
a very long time.  This has had me dealing with backend MySQL issues,
PHP issues, server config, you name it over the years.

I would like to officially answer your request for help, or a lead, for
the new WordPress install & maintenance.

This means I am offering to install WordPress on the OSGeo
infrastructure, install the custom template provided by GetInteractive,
lead/care for maintaining backups, security, PHP issues (there will be
lots), and answer/watch for any server issues daily (I bet I am the only
person in OSGeo that has bots to check OSGeo services running every 2
hours now).

I have experience, and most importantly, I have the proven passion to
care and be there to help when others cannot.  Where I sometimes can
lack the deep server skills, I dig, I try, I ask, I learn, and I
eventually fix.

My plan is to provide a proposal to SAC on this, on the wiki, in the
form of a quote/contract for this effort.

So, is the request for help, still valid?

If so, I will begin work on the wiki draft, and provide it to SAC here,
so you can make a decision.

Thanks,

-jeff